Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Librarything Time


Hi Everyone,


Jenna, I stole your idea by investigating an online library catalog system.  I looked into Librarything.  It's essentially a bare-bones library database for book lovers.  It's so minimal, there isn't even an option to embed my shelf.

Here's the link though:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?offset=0&view=8thgradeila&shelf=shelf

The feature that has me intrigued, though, is the ability to scan in your titles with a barcode scanner.  I bought the cuecat scanner off ebay for about 10 bucks a few years ago and scanned in my classroom titles into some software.  It was nice, but kids couldn't access it.  This is a tool they could access.  It would be a library system that rubs parallel to our building's catalogue.

Users can join groups and discuss books.  This seems to be the biggest attractions.  Goodreads and Shelfari do that too, and do it with much more style.

See what you think!

Andrew

1 comment:

  1. I have a librarything account but haven't looked at it lately. They're constantly updating and sending me "State of the Librarything" emails, so they're definitely evolving over time. I love that it has the scan feature! That would be a much faster way to enter titles than searching for them. That's how we enter new books in the library, by scanning the ISBN. Anyway, I'm glad you tried librarything and compared it to Goodreads and Shelfari. :)

    ReplyDelete